Purpose of the role:
The Senior Finance Controller is accountable for the financial controls and operations of the company, to include the production of financial reports, maintenance of adequate processes of accounting records, and an effective control framework designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the the company's Brasil reported financial results, and ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, international financial reporting standards and local statutory reporting.
- Manage the Brasil Control Framework, ensuring fit-for-purpose risk and assurance processes in place and effectiveness of business and finance controls.
- Ensure Governance and Asset Governance processes work effectively for Brasil.
- Management of Service Level Agreements with Central Corporate Functions such as Legal, Tax, Treasury and HR.
- Manage outsourced functions (Record to Report, Requisition to Pay, Payroll Services)
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department, including monitoring of competences and organizational structure adequate for achieving the company's deliverables
- Ensure that accounts payable and payroll are processed in a timely manner
- Ensure that periodic bank reconciliations are completed
- Liaise with Treasury on adequate funding, management of cash
- Maintain the chart of accounts
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions
- Issue timely and complete financial statements
- Coordinate the preparation of the local statutory results and group reporting
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics
- Manage the production of the annual budget and forecasts
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues
- Provide for a system of management cost reports
- Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
Qualifications and Experience:
The controller candidate should have a Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience and 10+ years of progressively responsible experience for a major company or division of a large corporation. Preference will be given to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations and background in the Oil and Gas Industry.
Competences include but are not restricted to:
- Strong analytical, financial control and accounting skills.
- Deep understanding of key control processes and SOX Requirements
- Sound understanding of IFRS and Accounting Policy issues.
- Good understanding of partnership, joint venture, related companies and simple investment arrangements and associated financial reporting requirements.
- Excellent communication and influencing skill.
- Ability to manage multiple/conflicting priorities with a strong track record of delivery.
- Good Team behaviours and courage to speak out.
- Encourages team to accept change as a normal part of continuous improvement.
- Understands how other disciplines use results/data.
- Generates new ideas and good at putting ideas into the wider context.